Rajya Sabha MP found guilty in MBBS seat allocation case
New Delhi: A special CBI court here on Thursday held Rajya Sabha MP Rasheed Masood guilty of fraudulently nominating undeserving candidates to MBBS seats allotted to Tripura in medical colleges across the country in 1990-91 as minister of state for health.
Special CBI Judge JPS Malik held Masood guilty of nominating undeserving candidates for academic session 1990-91 to MBBS seats allocated to Tripura from the central pool.
Masood was Minister of State (Independent Charge) in Ministry of Health and Family Welfare when the offence took place.
Besides him, two top bureaucrats and others have also been held guilty.
The judgement has been delivered in 11 similar cases registered by CBI in 1996. Of the 11, Masood was named in three cases.
The CBI had said in the chargesheet that Tripura does not have any medical college of its own.
"Consequently some MBBS and BDS seats are allocated every year from central Pool by the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India in various medical colleges across the country," CBI counsel VN Ojha had told the court.
These seats are made available to Tripura for allotment to eligible students from the state on the basis of merit, he had said.
The Government of Tripura constituted the Tripura Board of Joint Entrance Examination (TBJEE) in 1988 for selection of candidates through joint entrance examination held every year. The candidates were nominated.
The CBI had alleged that some candidates got their names nominated for MBBS seats for academic session 1990-91 from accused Gurdial Singh, then Resident Commissioner Tripura and an IPS officer of Gujarat cadre who was on deputation to government of Tripura.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'