Rajya Sabha passes promotion quota bill
New Delhi: The Rajya Sabha on Monday passed the constitution amendment bill to provide reservations in promotions for the Scheduled Castes (SCs) and the Scheduled Tribes (STs).
The Constitution (One Hundred Seventeenth Amendment) Bill, 2012 was passed with 206 members voting for the amendment and 10 voting against after a two-day debate.
The bill, a major demand of the Bahujan Samaj Party, was strongly opposed by the Samajwadi Party (SP).
Earlier in the day, Samajwadi Party forced adjournment of Rajya Sabha for half an hour demanding reservation for Muslims in education and government jobs.
When the House met for the day, Ram Gopal Yadav (SP) said he has given a notice for suspension of Question Hour to take up the issue.
The conditions of Muslims, he said, was worse than Dalits and so there should a Constitutional amendment to provide for reservation to Muslims.
As SP members rushed into the well of the House, Chairman Hamid Ansari said, "Please raise in Zero Hour."
Standing near the podium, they raised slogans demanding implementation of the Sachar Committee report.
The Rajinder Sachar Committee, appointed in 2005 by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, was commissioned to prepare a report on the latest social, economic and educational condition of the Muslim community of India. It had concluded that the status of Indian Muslims are below the conditions of Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes.
"Please don`t come into the Well. This is not allowed," Ansari said. "Please go back to your places," he pleaded with unrelenting SP members.
He then adjourned the House for 30 minutes.
The Congress has issued whips to its MPs to vote in favour of it. Meanwhile the Samajwadi Party said that they will continue to oppose the bill.
Congress spokesperson Rashid Alvi had said yesterday that the party was “committed that there should be reservations in promotions for SCs and STs. We hope that we will be able to get the bill cleared in the Parliament.”
He was asked if the party was planning to issue a whip for voting on the bill on reservation for SCs and STs in promotions. "Definitely the party will issue a whip. Why will it not issue a whip?" Alvi responded.
As a result of the support to the UPA on FDI in retail, the Constitution Amendment Bill has been forcefully pushed by Bahujan Samaj Party chief Mayawati. But SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav has been opposing it. He has his eyes on the upper caste votes in Uttar Pradesh. The SP had also accused UPA of being hand in glove with the BSP.
SP spokesman Rajendra Chowdhury alleged that to deal with Mulayam, the Centre had adopted a policy to "blackmail" him.
Chowdhury, however, said "come what may, the SP will not change its stand."
"Conspiracy is on to trap the SP supremo in the CBI net for not supporting FDI and a bill on quota in promotions," he claimed in a statement in Lucknow yesterday.
The government is caught in a bind on the stand taken by its two key outside supporters.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark