Rajya Sabha to have `time clock` to ensure max business
New Delhi: A "time clock" will be put into
operation for the first time in the Rajya Sabha from tomorrow
to ensure maximum business in the minimum possible time.
The electronic board is the latest innovative practice
being adopted by the Upper House for better time management,
Rajya Sabha Secretary General V K Agnihotri said.
The new device would be operational when the House takes
up discussion on the Motion of Thanks on the President`s
Address to the joint sitting tomorrow, he said.
It would show names of the members participating in the
debate and discussion of Bills, their party affiliation,
division numbers and also the time taken by them.
The display board would indicate the total time allotted
to different parties including members coming under
`nominated` and `others` categories, and time taken by
different speakers whose names have been sponsored by their
parties or who are participating in that debate.
"The display board will indicate the time consumed by
members individually as also by their political parties in
case of Short Duration Discussion and discussion on Bills,"
As regards Calling Attention and discussion on Private
Members` Bills, the time consumed by the participating members
would be indicated individually on the display board.
The innovative ideas have been thought of by Rajya Sabha
Chairman Hamid Ansari whose endeavour to restrict within three
minutes the submissions during Zero Hour has been effective
and widely welcomed.
Ansari had last year streamlined proceedings during Zero
Hour by restricting members to raise their mentions only for
three minutes after which the microphone will go off
In order to put Question Hour to maximum use, the Rajya
Sabha Rules Committee had recently amended the rules under
which even if the mover of the question was absent, it would
be taken up.
Under this initiative, if the main questioner is absent,
the Chair will allow three other members to put
supplementaries during Question Hour, considered an important
avenue to get the government`s response on various issues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state