Rajya Sabha to sit on Thursday
New Delhi: Rajya Sabha will function tomorrow to pass important pending legislation like the Banking Laws (Amendment) Bill, Parliament sources said.
The Upper House was to adjourn sine die today but has been extended by another day in view of the pending Bills.
The Banking Laws (Amendment) Bill, which was passed by the Lok Sabha yesterday after some initial hiccups, will come up for consideration and passage in Rajya Sabha tomorrow. Finance Minister P Chidambaram, who piloted the Bill, dropped some clauses on which BJP and other parties were objecting.
BJP and the Left parties were opposed to the inclusion of a provison allowing forward trading in the Bill. It was passed after Chidambaram announced that this clause is being removed.
The Companies Bill, which was also passed by the Lok Sabha yesterday, is, however unlikely to come up for discussion and passage tomorrow due to opposition from BJP.
Deputy Leader of BJP in the Rajya Sabha Ravi Shankar Prasad said in the House that there is no agreement on the bill.
The winter session of Parliament, which started on November 22, will come to an end tomorrow as per the earlier schedule with both Houses adjourning sine die.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore