Rajya Sabha to sit on Thursday
New Delhi: Rajya Sabha will function tomorrow to pass important pending legislation like the Banking Laws (Amendment) Bill, Parliament sources said.
The Upper House was to adjourn sine die today but has been extended by another day in view of the pending Bills.
The Banking Laws (Amendment) Bill, which was passed by the Lok Sabha yesterday after some initial hiccups, will come up for consideration and passage in Rajya Sabha tomorrow. Finance Minister P Chidambaram, who piloted the Bill, dropped some clauses on which BJP and other parties were objecting.
BJP and the Left parties were opposed to the inclusion of a provison allowing forward trading in the Bill. It was passed after Chidambaram announced that this clause is being removed.
The Companies Bill, which was also passed by the Lok Sabha yesterday, is, however unlikely to come up for discussion and passage tomorrow due to opposition from BJP.
Deputy Leader of BJP in the Rajya Sabha Ravi Shankar Prasad said in the House that there is no agreement on the bill.
The winter session of Parliament, which started on November 22, will come to an end tomorrow as per the earlier schedule with both Houses adjourning sine die.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- IIFA 2016: Why should Oscars become benchmark to celebrate Indian cinema, asks Anupam Kher
- US floods: 24 dead in West Virginia; search and rescue continues
- Pampore terror attack: PM Narendra Modi pained by demise of CRPF jawans, salutes their courage
- PM Narendra Modi to share his thoughts in 21st edition of 'Mann Ki Baat' today
- IIFA Awards 2016: Here is the list of winners