Rajya Sabha witnesses rowdy scenes, chairman`s mike broken
New Delhi: The Rajya Sabha witnessed rowdy scenes Friday before it went on a recess as agitating members from the DMK and AIADMK turned violent, breaking the chairperson`s mike.
The upper house met at 2.30 pm after two adjournments. Members from DMK and AIADMK, who were protesting over the plight of Sri Lankan Tamils, trooped near the chairperson`s podium.
Contending that the anti-Sri Lanka resolution in the United Nations Human Rights Council was not strong enough, they accused the government of not doing enough.
Renuka Choudhary, who was presiding over the house, pleaded with the members to go back to their seats. When she refused to adjourn the house, some members snatched and tore papers from the chairperson`s podium.
The chair still continued the proceedings, after which V Maitreyan of the AIADMK broke the microphone at the chairpersons` podium.
External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid, who was making a statement on the return of Italian marines accused of killing two Indian fishermen, looked visibly shocked at the incident.
Amid the ruckus, Chowdhary adjourned the house till April 22. "Do not behave like animals," she told the protesting members.
Earlier, the upper house was adjourned twice over the same issue. The first adjournment came soon after it met at 11 am, when Chairman M Hamid Ansari adjourned the house till noon. At noon it was adjourned again till 2.30 pm.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015