Rally was organised at the insistence of Annaji, says Mamata
New Delhi: Trinamool Congress Chief Mamata Banerjee on Friday said that the joint rally, which was skipped by social activist Anna Hazare two days ago, was actually organised at the insistence of the anti-corruption crusader.
"It was not our rally. It was organised at the insistence of Annaji. It was not a Trinamool Congress rally," the West Bengal Chief Minister told a news channel.
Hazare today said he had skipped the `joint` rally here with the Trinamool Congress chief because even 4000 people had not come to attend it and he had been misled. He expressed support for Banerjee but ruled out any backing for her party in the upcoming Lok Sabha elections.
On the lukewarm response the rally got, Banerjee said that she has even done rallies with just 5-6 people at the time when Indira Gandhi had lost elections.
"When Indira Gandhi lost the elections (in 1977) we used to come out with rallies comprising 5-6 people. Do not forget that. We can conduct a rally with 2 people as well," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened