Rally was organised at the insistence of Annaji, says Mamata
New Delhi: Trinamool Congress Chief Mamata Banerjee on Friday said that the joint rally, which was skipped by social activist Anna Hazare two days ago, was actually organised at the insistence of the anti-corruption crusader.
"It was not our rally. It was organised at the insistence of Annaji. It was not a Trinamool Congress rally," the West Bengal Chief Minister told a news channel.
Hazare today said he had skipped the `joint` rally here with the Trinamool Congress chief because even 4000 people had not come to attend it and he had been misled. He expressed support for Banerjee but ruled out any backing for her party in the upcoming Lok Sabha elections.
On the lukewarm response the rally got, Banerjee said that she has even done rallies with just 5-6 people at the time when Indira Gandhi had lost elections.
"When Indira Gandhi lost the elections (in 1977) we used to come out with rallies comprising 5-6 people. Do not forget that. We can conduct a rally with 2 people as well," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Euro 2016: Wayne Rooney and Roy Hodgson seek more ruthless from England against Iceland
- Gunman, who opened fire at German cinema complex before being shot dead, acted alone
- 'NSG applications of Pakistan, India should be considered together'
- Jung, Meena will be summoned over Sheila govt 'scams': Dy Speaker
- CBI files fresh chargesheet against two in Vyapam cases