Ram Setu issue rocks Rajya Sabha
New Delhi: The issue of Ram Setu rocked Rajya Sabha on Tuesday with BJP asking the government to withdraw its affidavit given in court on plans to dismantle it, leading to acrimonious exchanges and consequent adjournment of the House.
The House witnessed uproarious scenes on the issue, with BJP and the government trading charges, accusing each other of playing politics and not having faith in God, as DMK and AIADMK members joined in.
As BJP and the treasury benches traded charges against each other, E M S Natchiappan, who was in the Chair, adjourned the House till 2 PM amid acrimonious scenes.
Raising the issue during Zero Hour, Prakash Javadekar (BJP) asked the government to withdraw its affidavit given in court on its decision to dismantle the structure and said they will not allow this to happen.
He also asked the government to agree to recommendations of the Pachauri expert committee`s suggestion for a different alignment without dismantling the Ram Setu structure, to which the government is not agreeing.
BJP members stood up after Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Rajiv Shukla accused the party of playing politics on the issue for votes and later trooped into the Well raising slogans for taking back the affidavit given by the Centre.
"Affidavit wapas lo, wapas lo," (Take back the affidavit), they chanted even as AIADMK and DMK also raised slogans leading to the adjournment of the House.
Javadekar accused government of not being concerned about public and religious sentiments as also of preserving ancient heritage and demanded withdrawal of the affidavit.
He warned that an agitation would be launched if the government did not do so.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?