Ram Singh’s suicide: Home Ministry seeks report
New Delhi: The Home Ministry on Monday sought a detailed report from the Tihar Jail administration hours after Ram Singh, one of the key accused in the December 16 Delhi gang-rape case, committed suicide in his cell.
Talking to a TV news channel Minister of State, Home, RPN Singh said, “The Home Ministry has demanded a detailed report from the Delhi Police and the Tihar jail administration into the suicide of Ram Singh.”
Meanwhile, a team of forensic experts also reached the Tihar Jail to examine the Cell no 3 where Ram Singh committed suicide by hanging himself using his own clothes.
According to a senior Tihar Jail official, “Ram Singh, 33, the prime accused in the case, committed suicide around 5.00 am in ward no 5 of Jail No.3 in Tihar jail.”
"An inquiry has been ordered into the suicide incident to ascertain how Ram Singh committed suicide in the high security Tihar Jail," said G. Sudhakar, DIG (Prisons), Tihar Jail.
Singh, who had been charged in 13 cases in connection with the Decemebr 16 incident, had been facing day-to-day trial in a district court. He was supposed to be taken to the court Monday.
He had confessed to the crime, police said.
Singh was rushed to Deen Dayal Upadhyay hospital where he was declared dead.
On December 16, 2012, a trainee phyisotherapist was allegedly brutally gang-raped by Ram Singh and his five associates in a moving bus in the national capital.
She died of her injuries in a Singapore hospital two weeks later.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'