Ram Singh’s suicide: Home Ministry seeks report
New Delhi: The Home Ministry on Monday sought a detailed report from the Tihar Jail administration hours after Ram Singh, one of the key accused in the December 16 Delhi gang-rape case, committed suicide in his cell.
Talking to a TV news channel Minister of State, Home, RPN Singh said, “The Home Ministry has demanded a detailed report from the Delhi Police and the Tihar jail administration into the suicide of Ram Singh.”
Meanwhile, a team of forensic experts also reached the Tihar Jail to examine the Cell no 3 where Ram Singh committed suicide by hanging himself using his own clothes.
According to a senior Tihar Jail official, “Ram Singh, 33, the prime accused in the case, committed suicide around 5.00 am in ward no 5 of Jail No.3 in Tihar jail.”
"An inquiry has been ordered into the suicide incident to ascertain how Ram Singh committed suicide in the high security Tihar Jail," said G. Sudhakar, DIG (Prisons), Tihar Jail.
Singh, who had been charged in 13 cases in connection with the Decemebr 16 incident, had been facing day-to-day trial in a district court. He was supposed to be taken to the court Monday.
He had confessed to the crime, police said.
Singh was rushed to Deen Dayal Upadhyay hospital where he was declared dead.
On December 16, 2012, a trainee phyisotherapist was allegedly brutally gang-raped by Ram Singh and his five associates in a moving bus in the national capital.
She died of her injuries in a Singapore hospital two weeks later.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why