Ramadoss illegally allowed admission in medical college: CBI
New Delhi: CBI on Friday told a Delhi court that former union health minister Anbumani Ramadoss, who along with others, is accused in a graft case, had "illegally" allowed an Indore-based medical college to proceed with the admissions without having sufficient faculty and clinical material.
During arguments on framing of charges, the agency told Special CBI judge Ravinder Kaur that Ramadoss, in conspiracy with the co-accused, had given approval in permitting Index Medical College Hospital and Research Centre (IMCHRC) to take admission for second year despite the fact that Medical Council of India (MCI) and a committee, appointed by the Supreme Court, recommended against it.
CBI prosecutor VK Sharma said IMCHRC was not having sufficient faculty and clinical material required as per MCI norms but despite that Ramadoss granted it permission to take admission for a second batch of MBBS students for academic year 2008-09.
"Ramadoss illegally renewed the approval for IMCHRC," the prosecutor said adding co-accused Suresh Singh Bhadoria, Chairman of IMCHRC, was in the ministry on the day when the minister gave his approval for it.
The agency said that after MCI inspectors had clearly said that permission may not be granted to IMCHRC due to the deficiencies, a central team was constituted by the accused to obtain a favourable report for the purpose of issuing permission for renewal of admission in second year.
The prosecutor said the central inspection team was not told what they have to do and only vague instructions were given to them.
CBI concluded its arguments on framing of charges and the defence counsel would now advance their contentions in the case tomorrow.
Ramadoss and nine others were chargesheeted by CBI on April 27 last year in the corruption case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez