Ramdev aide calls crackdown `state terrorism`
New Delhi: A confidant of yoga guru Baba Ramdev on Sunday called the police crackdown on his campaign against corruption "state terrorism".
"This is state terrorism. This is the terrorism of the corrupt," Vedprakash Vaidik told an Indian news channel.
Vaidik, who has known Ramdev since he was a young boy, said he had been fearing such a government response.
"This is a barbaric action by a government ironically headed by a gentleman," he said.
"No single word was uttered by Ramdev during the protest that could be called anti-government. We cannot make out why the police acted in this manner."
Vaidik said Baba Ramdev had been confident as late as Saturday evening that the government was willing to accept most of his major demands. But he said he had told the yoga guru to be cautious and ready for arrest.
"I know this government," he said
Vaidik spoke soon after Ramlila Ground was cleared of protesters as hundreds of police swooped the sprawling protest venue just after midnight Saturday and forcibly removed the yoga guru to ending a high-profile hunger strike against corruption he launched less than 24 hours earlier.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog