Ramdev aide calls crackdown `state terrorism`
New Delhi: A confidant of yoga guru Baba Ramdev on Sunday called the police crackdown on his campaign against corruption "state terrorism".
"This is state terrorism. This is the terrorism of the corrupt," Vedprakash Vaidik told an Indian news channel.
Vaidik, who has known Ramdev since he was a young boy, said he had been fearing such a government response.
"This is a barbaric action by a government ironically headed by a gentleman," he said.
"No single word was uttered by Ramdev during the protest that could be called anti-government. We cannot make out why the police acted in this manner."
Vaidik said Baba Ramdev had been confident as late as Saturday evening that the government was willing to accept most of his major demands. But he said he had told the yoga guru to be cautious and ready for arrest.
"I know this government," he said
Vaidik spoke soon after Ramlila Ground was cleared of protesters as hundreds of police swooped the sprawling protest venue just after midnight Saturday and forcibly removed the yoga guru to ending a high-profile hunger strike against corruption he launched less than 24 hours earlier.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi