Ramdev all set for second round of protest
New Delhi: Fourteen months after he was bundled out of Ramlila Maidan here in a midnight police swoop, yoga guru Ramdev will return to the same venue on Thursday for another round of indefinite protest demanding bringing back blackmoney stashed abroad.
Ramdev`s second round of protest will also witness an expansion of his agenda from blackmoney to Lokpal Bill, making CBI independent and a more transparent procedure for appointing Election Commissioners, CAG, CVC and CBI Director.
Ramdev`s previous protest in Ramlila Maidan from June four last year ended in a midnight police crackdown on June six morning with authorities claiming that he violated the norms agreed upon. He was caught by police while trying to flee from the venue in woman`s attire.
The second indefinite protest, announced in June this year, also will be keenly watched as it comes a week after Anna Hazare called off his fast, disbanded his team which has decided to take a political plunge.
On his part, Ramdev has said he has no political agenda and the second phase of his protest will be announced if the government does not agree to his demands on blackmoney, Lokpal Bill, appointment procedures and making CBI independent.
"All we are demanding is constitution of a strong Lokpal to end corruption. Lokpal alone cannot eradicate corruption but it is required to punish the corrupt.
"Besides, the process of appointing heads of CBI, CVC, CAG and CEC should be streamlined and no political influence allowed in it. If this is done, 90 per cent corruption will be checked," Ramdev had said yesterday.
Hazare, who had earlier announced that he would join Ramdev at his protest, is unlikely to be present at the venue tomorrow with one of his close aides saying that "as of now there are no plans" to come to Delhi soon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling