Ramdev all set for second round of protest
New Delhi: Fourteen months after he was bundled out of Ramlila Maidan here in a midnight police swoop, yoga guru Ramdev will return to the same venue on Thursday for another round of indefinite protest demanding bringing back blackmoney stashed abroad.
Ramdev`s second round of protest will also witness an expansion of his agenda from blackmoney to Lokpal Bill, making CBI independent and a more transparent procedure for appointing Election Commissioners, CAG, CVC and CBI Director.
Ramdev`s previous protest in Ramlila Maidan from June four last year ended in a midnight police crackdown on June six morning with authorities claiming that he violated the norms agreed upon. He was caught by police while trying to flee from the venue in woman`s attire.
The second indefinite protest, announced in June this year, also will be keenly watched as it comes a week after Anna Hazare called off his fast, disbanded his team which has decided to take a political plunge.
On his part, Ramdev has said he has no political agenda and the second phase of his protest will be announced if the government does not agree to his demands on blackmoney, Lokpal Bill, appointment procedures and making CBI independent.
"All we are demanding is constitution of a strong Lokpal to end corruption. Lokpal alone cannot eradicate corruption but it is required to punish the corrupt.
"Besides, the process of appointing heads of CBI, CVC, CAG and CEC should be streamlined and no political influence allowed in it. If this is done, 90 per cent corruption will be checked," Ramdev had said yesterday.
Hazare, who had earlier announced that he would join Ramdev at his protest, is unlikely to be present at the venue tomorrow with one of his close aides saying that "as of now there are no plans" to come to Delhi soon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka