Ramdev all set for second round of protest
New Delhi: Fourteen months after he was bundled out of Ramlila Maidan here in a midnight police swoop, yoga guru Ramdev will return to the same venue on Thursday for another round of indefinite protest demanding bringing back blackmoney stashed abroad.
Ramdev`s second round of protest will also witness an expansion of his agenda from blackmoney to Lokpal Bill, making CBI independent and a more transparent procedure for appointing Election Commissioners, CAG, CVC and CBI Director.
Ramdev`s previous protest in Ramlila Maidan from June four last year ended in a midnight police crackdown on June six morning with authorities claiming that he violated the norms agreed upon. He was caught by police while trying to flee from the venue in woman`s attire.
The second indefinite protest, announced in June this year, also will be keenly watched as it comes a week after Anna Hazare called off his fast, disbanded his team which has decided to take a political plunge.
On his part, Ramdev has said he has no political agenda and the second phase of his protest will be announced if the government does not agree to his demands on blackmoney, Lokpal Bill, appointment procedures and making CBI independent.
"All we are demanding is constitution of a strong Lokpal to end corruption. Lokpal alone cannot eradicate corruption but it is required to punish the corrupt.
"Besides, the process of appointing heads of CBI, CVC, CAG and CEC should be streamlined and no political influence allowed in it. If this is done, 90 per cent corruption will be checked," Ramdev had said yesterday.
Hazare, who had earlier announced that he would join Ramdev at his protest, is unlikely to be present at the venue tomorrow with one of his close aides saying that "as of now there are no plans" to come to Delhi soon.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani