Ramdev asks people not to vote for Congress
Ahmedabad: Baba Ramdev, who was here today to mobilize support for his August 9 protest, said if Congress did not act on the issue of bringing back black money, he would ask people not to vote for it.
Ramdev is going to launch an agitation from August 9 at Delhi`s Jantar Mantar against Congress-led UPA government`s failure to bring back the black money from foreign banks.
He said that he would give Congress party the opportunity to take action to bring back the black money, but if it failed, he would ask the people not to vote for the party.
"In the elections in five states, people have shown the ruling party that they will not tolerate corrupt people in power. This time we will give specific instruction to people that they should not vote for this particular party as it is not interested in bringing back the black money, removing corruption and saving the country," Ramdev said.
"The government is thinking that low turnout at team Anna Hazare`s fast venue means that it can continue with its corrupt ways. But I say this government should not underestimate any public agitation," Ramdev said.
"The month of August will be crucial as a crowd of two lakh will turn up for my agitation and I don`t know what will be government`s reaction."
When asked whether he would run away -- as at a previous agitation in Delhi -- if police came to arrest him, Ramdev said that he had learned some lessons, and would not flee.
"It is good to go to jail to fight corruption. They arrested Anna Hazare, and see what happened," he said.
He denied that he himself ever indulged in corruption, and said the action against his firms which produce Ayurvedic medicines was vindictive.
He, however, evaded questions regarding his stealing the show at Jantar Mantar at Team Anna`s agitation, where crowds had swelled only after he arrived there yesterday.
As to alleged corruption in Gujarat, he said he was not aware of the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?