Ramesh best person to explain remarks on IIMs: Congress
New Delhi: Congress on Saturday left
Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh to fend for himself over
the controversy surrounding his remarks that faculty of the
premier IITs and IIMs are "not world class", but attacked BJP
for its scathing criticism on the issue.
"I do not know in what context and what circumstances
Jairam Ramesh has made the remarks. Whether it has been taken
in context or out of context, he is the best person to be
really be able to answer this question," party spokesperson
Manish Tewari told reporters at the AICC briefing.
"So far as IIM and IITs are concerned, there is no
question or ambiguity about their contribution to Indian
academia and even to building some of the primest institutions
around the world."
He was responding to questions on the remarks of
Ramesh, which has evoked strong reactions from the academia
and the main opposition party BJP.
Lambasting Ramesh for his remarks, BJP spokesperson
Rajiv Pratap Rudy said: "We cannot have world institutions
unless we have world class ministers."
Terming the BJP`s remarks as "naive", Tewari said: "We
do not appreciate unsolicited advice from third class people
as to who should be first class or who should be third class."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in