Ramesh disapproves of MNREGA payment through foodgrains
New Delhi: A proposal for giving foodgrains as part payment of wages under the rural job scheme is being considered at the "highest level", Union Minister Jairam Ramesh said here on Tuesday but did not mince words in making clear his disapproval of any such decision.
"It is being considered at the highest level. When a decision is taken, we all will have to fall in line," the Rural Development Minister told reporters here reacting to a query.
Expressing his disagreement with the proposal mooted by Food Minister KV Thomas, Ramesh noted that corruption had been "really extraordinary" under the Food for Work Programme launched in 2004.
"Assets that are created under the Food for Work Programme are really mythical," he said.
He said the UPA Government`s MNREGA programme was a "step forward" to the National Food for Work Programme which was launched in 150 most backward districts of the country.
Thomas had written a letter to Ramesh in this regard.
The Minister said the proposal to give foodgrains instead of cash to agriculture workers under MNREGA was mooted considering the fact that there was no proper storage facility in the country and a large quantity of grains are rotting in open.
Last week, Agriculture Minister Pawar had informed the Rajya Sabha that the proposal had "not received" any positive response.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read