Ramesh laments `mukhiyapati` ruling in panchayats
Patna: Union Minister Jairam Ramesh today lamented that "mukhiyapati" (husband of women village chief) were ruling the roost in panchayats.
"During my visit to many panchayats in Bihar and Jharkhand. I noticed mukhiyapati (husband) are ruling there by proxy," the Union minister for Rural Development told reporters at state Congress headquarters Sadaquat Ashram.
In a lighter vein, he said it might be because it was the initial phase of women empowerment. The Bihar government has reserved 50 per cent of seats in panchayats and urban local bodies for women.
The Union minister appealed to such husbands to let the elected member discharge their duties to realise the spirit of women empowerment.
Ramesh said he had heard about prevalence of luxury vehicles in panchayats and small towns and expressed surprise at this new development.
The minister was here to review progress of schemes under Rural Development ministry with Chief Minister Nitish Kumar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read