Ramesh laments `mukhiyapati` ruling in panchayats
Patna: Union Minister Jairam Ramesh today lamented that "mukhiyapati" (husband of women village chief) were ruling the roost in panchayats.
"During my visit to many panchayats in Bihar and Jharkhand. I noticed mukhiyapati (husband) are ruling there by proxy," the Union minister for Rural Development told reporters at state Congress headquarters Sadaquat Ashram.
In a lighter vein, he said it might be because it was the initial phase of women empowerment. The Bihar government has reserved 50 per cent of seats in panchayats and urban local bodies for women.
The Union minister appealed to such husbands to let the elected member discharge their duties to realise the spirit of women empowerment.
Ramesh said he had heard about prevalence of luxury vehicles in panchayats and small towns and expressed surprise at this new development.
The minister was here to review progress of schemes under Rural Development ministry with Chief Minister Nitish Kumar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery