Ramesh slams Maoist sympathisers for `romanticising` menace
New Delhi: Lashing out at attempts to "romanticise" Maoists, Rural Development Jairam Ramesh today questioned the integrity of the extremists saying it is not based on ideology but on "levy" collected from mining firms operating in mineral-rich tribal areas.
Ramesh, who yesterday visited the Maoist affected areas of Jharkhand, even went on to say that if the government stops all developmental-related flow of funds to these areas, the Maoist movement will die down.
"The fuel of Maoism in India today is levy. The moment you stop all developmental activities Maoism will come to an end.... It is levy-based Maoism. They want levy. I think the Maoists are creating Market economy much more than the government," Ramesh said while hitting out at Maoist sympathisers for "romanticising" the menace.
"Don`t tell me the story that Maoists are not using children as shield. Don`t demonise security forces. Don`t romanticise Maoists," Ramesh said when he was questioned on the security forces` action against Maoists in many affected districts in Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh and Odisha.
Buttressing his argument, he said that in Jharkhand`s Palamau district, Maoism started when coal mining began.
"So called liberated zones are the mining rich areas. The bauxite-rich areas are Maoist affected. The iron-ore rich areas are Maoist affected. Coal-rich areas are Maoist affected. Why did it happen?," he asked.
The Minister was addressing a Programme "Saranda and the audacity of hope" organised by a news magazine.
Saranda is a forest area located on the borders of three states of Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh and Odisha where the government is implementing a development plan after a successful security operation last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced