Ramesh to launch nation-wide yatra against manual scavenging
New Delhi: After highlighting the need for improving sanitation across the nation, Union Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh has taken up the cause of eradicating manual scavenging, an inhuman and outlawed practice still existing in some parts of the country.
Ramesh will launch a two-month-long yatra being organised by an NGO next month in Bhopal demanding eradication of manual scavenging, and social, political, economical rehabilitation of liberated night soil carriers.
The Maila Mukti Yatra, being organised by the Rashtriya Garima Abhiyan on November 30, will cover 200 districts in 18 states.
"The yatra will conclude in New Delhi on January 31, " Ramesh said.
As per 2011 Census, there are 7,94,390 dry latrines in the country, where the human excreta is cleaned manually.
The NGO said there are 13,14,652 toilets where human excreta is flushed in open drains and these toilets are also cleaned the same way.
"Pressurising panchayats, local administration and the government to take appropriate actions to end manual scavenging is an essential aspect of the `National People`s March for Eradication of Manual Scavenging`," it said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know