Ramlila Maidan turns into garbage ground
New Delhi: While Anna Hazare supporters
went euphoric after the Gandhian broke his 13-day-old fast,
the Ramlila ground silently bore the brunt of the agitation as
garbage and filth was left strewn around the venue.
Empty and partially-filled water bottles, biscuit
packets, food packets, cartons, rice, curry, banana peel,
dirty carpets, among others, were lying scattered all over the
During the fasting period of Hazare, the ground was
cleaned by volunteers and MCD employees at regular intervals
but today, after he broke his fast and left for Medanta
hospital for check up, no such action followed.
Big size dustbins were placed at different corners of
the ground so that all garbage could be gathered and thrown at
public dustbins outside.
"We have other important works... Preparations for
celebrations at India Gate are to be undertaken, and I am
engaged in that. This is not my work," a volunteer from team
Anna said who was part of the team allocated to take care of
keeping the maidan clean.
The kitchen --`Anna ki Rasoi` -- set up at one corner of
the ground which was delivering free lunches to people, who
assembled to support Hazare, too added to the littering.
Cooked rice, curry, chopped vegetables, spices were
strewn near the kitchen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre