Ramzan from Sunday
New Delhi: Ramzan, the holy month of fasting for Muslims, will begin from Sunday as the new moon was not sighted this evening, Shahi Imam of Fatehpuri mosque here announced today.
After a meeting of the new moon sighting committee here, Maulana Mufti Mukkaram Ahmed said that the new moon was not sighted.
"The month of Ramzan will begin on Sunday," Maulana Mukkaram told a news agency.
Ramzan, the ninth month of the Islamic lunar calendar, is observed as a fasting period by Muslims, who abstain from food and water from sunrise to sunset.
The month-long fasting will culminate in the Id-ul-Fitr celebrations next month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof