Ramzan, the holy month, to begin from July 20
New Delhi: The Muslim holy month of Ramzan will begin from July 20, 2012. As per Muslim belief, Ramzan or Ramadan is a perfect form of spiritual purification for everyone.
Also, fasting in the month of Ramadan is also one of the five cardinal points of Islamic tenet. Another deep significance of the period is that the Holy Quran was first revealed to Prophet Muhammad during this time.
During Ramzan, observers do not eat and drink from dawn until sunset. Only two meals are allowed – ‘suhoor’ before dawn, and ‘iftar’ after sundown.
Ramzan is the ninth month of lunar Islamic calendar which lasts for around 29-30 days depending on visual sighting of the crescent moon.
The observers fast during this time and recite Quran and offer prayers.
Dates are commonly used to break the Ramzan fast. The practice has religious significance as it is associated with Prophet Muhammad, he used to his fast by eating dates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL