Rana pleads not guilty to plotting Mumbai attacks
Chicago: Pakistani-Canadian Tahawwur
Hussain Rana today pleaded not guilty to preparing the
groundwork and providing material support for the LeT to carry
out the Mumbai terror attacks.
49-year-old Rana, who was arrested by the FBI along
with his schoolmate David Coleman Headley in October 2009, was
produced before a Chicago court for arraignment in connection
with Mumbai terror strikes as also for plotting attacks on a
Danish newspaper `Jyllands Posten`.
Rana, who was brought to the court with his hands and
legs shackled, pleaded not guilty to the charges framed
Magistrate Judge Arlander Keys in the District Court
in Northern District of Illinois, who heard the case, set the
next date of hearing for February 24.
During today`s hearing, none of Rana`s family members
were present in the court.
The judge asked the accused about his age, date of
birth and questions like was he aware of the charges framed
against him. Rana responded to all the queries posed by the
judge during the proceedings, which lasted for about 10
Headley and Rana have been indicted on charges of
plotting the Mumbai terror attacks in November 2008 that
killed 166 people, including six Americans.
In its 12-count superseding indictment against Headley
and Rana, the jury had on January 14 gave extensive details of
the planning of the Mumbai attack by the LeT and how its
leaders guided the terrorists during the four-day siege
beginning November 26, 2008 that killed 166 people, including
Ilyas Kashmiri, a Pakistan-based terrorist linked to
al-Qaeda, and Abdur Rehman Hashim Syed, a retired major in the
Pakistani military, were also indicted along with Headley and
Rana was charged with providing material support in
preparation for and in carrying out the Mumbai attacks and for
the Denmark terrorism plot, besides offering material support
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Delhi Police may arrest Kabaddi player Rohit over wife's suicide
- Politics over Mahesh Sharma's visit to Ayodhya museum site ahead of UP elections
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!