Ranjan Mathai to be new foreign secretary
New Delhi: Ending weeks of speculation, the government has decided to appoint Ranjan Mathai, India`s ambassador to France, as the next foreign secretary.
Mathai will succeed Nirupama Rao, who is tipped to be India`s next ambassador to the US. Rao will succeed Meera Shankar in Washington, sources said.
A 1974 batch Indian Foreign Service officer, the exact details of Mathai`s appointment will be announced soon. The cabinet committee on appointments met Monday to finalise Mathai`s name for foreign secretary.
Hardeep Singh Puri, India`s permanent representative to the UN, and Sharat Sabharwal, India`s high commissioner to Pakistan, were also seen to be claimants for the post of foreign secretary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report