Ranjan Mathai to be new foreign secretary
New Delhi: Ending weeks of speculation, the government has decided to appoint Ranjan Mathai, India`s ambassador to France, as the next foreign secretary.
Mathai will succeed Nirupama Rao, who is tipped to be India`s next ambassador to the US. Rao will succeed Meera Shankar in Washington, sources said.
A 1974 batch Indian Foreign Service officer, the exact details of Mathai`s appointment will be announced soon. The cabinet committee on appointments met Monday to finalise Mathai`s name for foreign secretary.
Hardeep Singh Puri, India`s permanent representative to the UN, and Sharat Sabharwal, India`s high commissioner to Pakistan, were also seen to be claimants for the post of foreign secretary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends