Rao ‘completely surprised’ on being chosen for Bharat Ratna
Bangalore: "This has come to me as a complete surprise," said renowned scientist Prof CNR Rao on government`s announcement to confer the Bharat Ratna on him.
"I owe it (the award) to my wife, my family, my children and my students," Rao said.
"I was at the airport. An Indigo (airline) employee said that there was an urgent call. It was (about) the Bharat Ratna," Rao told reporters at the Bangalore airport as he arrived from a Kerala trip.
Rao said Prime Minister Manmohan Singh called him on his mobile and congratulated him. "He (Singh) said you have done so much for India and science."
"I have worked for 54 years. I am proud to be an Indian. If I was not proud to be an Indian, I would have been somewhere else," he said.
"This (Bharat Ratna) has come as a complete surprise," Rao, who has 60 honourary PhDs to his credit from universities across the globe and enjoys an iconic scientific status in the Indian scientific community, said.
On cricket legend Sachin Tendulkar also being conferred with the Bharat Ratna, Rao said it was his wife who informed him about it. "He is a great player."
"I am a Mysorean. I am proud. I am grateful for this honour to a scientist. We have done a lot of research," Rao said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata