Rao ‘completely surprised’ on being chosen for Bharat Ratna
Bangalore: "This has come to me as a complete surprise," said renowned scientist Prof CNR Rao on government`s announcement to confer the Bharat Ratna on him.
"I owe it (the award) to my wife, my family, my children and my students," Rao said.
"I was at the airport. An Indigo (airline) employee said that there was an urgent call. It was (about) the Bharat Ratna," Rao told reporters at the Bangalore airport as he arrived from a Kerala trip.
Rao said Prime Minister Manmohan Singh called him on his mobile and congratulated him. "He (Singh) said you have done so much for India and science."
"I have worked for 54 years. I am proud to be an Indian. If I was not proud to be an Indian, I would have been somewhere else," he said.
"This (Bharat Ratna) has come as a complete surprise," Rao, who has 60 honourary PhDs to his credit from universities across the globe and enjoys an iconic scientific status in the Indian scientific community, said.
On cricket legend Sachin Tendulkar also being conferred with the Bharat Ratna, Rao said it was his wife who informed him about it. "He is a great player."
"I am a Mysorean. I am proud. I am grateful for this honour to a scientist. We have done a lot of research," Rao said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars