‘Rao made a mistake in accepting VHP affidavit in SC’
New Delhi: The then prime minister PV Narasimha Rao made a mistake by accepting an affidavit submitted in the Supreme Court on the issue of Babri mosque days before it was razed, Congress leader Digvijay Singh said on Thursday.
He also said religious fundamentalism is the biggest danger the country is facing and the language used by youths on social networking sites is promoting communalism.
"I think, it was a mistake on the part of the then Prime Minister (Narasimha Rao) to accept the affidavit submitted by Vishwa Hindu Parishad in the Supreme Court in the matter," he said without naming Rao.
He was apparently referring to an affidavit filed in the Supreme Court by the then BJP-led Kalyan Singh government in Uttar Pradesh.
"As far as the issue of Babri masjid and Ram mandir as you have said, this contentious issue has been there much before the Congress came in to power and continued," Singh said.
He was speaking at a discussion organised on the occasion of the re-launch of `Frontline` magazine here.
The Congress leader said "the rise of religious fundamentalism in the name of nationalism is unfortunately coming into the mainstream of Indian politics".
"The very fact that an army officer has been arrested in terror cases (Malegaon blasts) is something very frightening. I have seen such religious fundamentals infiltrating into the system over the last few years...This I think, is the biggest challenge the country is facing today," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city