Rao says hopeful of resolution of Chishty`s case
Islamabad: Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao on Thursday said that she was hopeful of the resolution of the case of 80-year-old Pakistani prisoner Khalil Chishty, lodged in a jail in Ajmer in connection with a murder case.
Rao, who is here for a two-day talk with her Pakistani counterpart Salman Bashir, said the External Affairs Ministry was in touch with the government of Rajasthan, which is seized of the matter.
She said she was hopeful that the case would be resolved. Ashok Gehlot, Chief Minister of Rajasthan, had cleared the mercy plea of Chishty, following which it was forwarded to the Governor.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Monday a
had asked Home Minister P Chidambaram to examine if the request of a Supreme Court judge for pardon to Chishty could be considered on "humanitarian" grounds.
Singh had forwarded to Chidambaram the letter of request received from Justice Markandeya Katju.
A sessions court in Ajmer had awarded Chishty life sentence on January 31 this year in a murder case after an 18-year-long trial. Chisty had filed an appeal in the High Court but his bail plea was rejected.
Chishty had got involved in a fracas during his visit to Ajmer in 1992 to meet his ailing mother and in the melee one person was killed leading to his arrest.
During the trial period, the session court, which had granted him bail after few days of the incident, had ordered Chishty not to leave Ajmer and he was re-arrested after his conviction.
During the bail period, he spent time at his
brother`s farm in Ajmer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!