Rape a tool for subjugating women: Delhi HC judge
New Delhi: Rape and gender-based violence are tools used to subjugate women, Justice Gita Mittal of the Delhi High Court said and called for effective ways, including reforms in laws, to address such crimes.
The judge said the issue of gender-based violence is directly related to equality, dignity and status of women and priority attention should be given in order to address this social ill.
Justice Mittal was speaking on the occasion of the release of a book titled `Gender Based Violence and Public Health: International Perspectives on Budgets and Policies` organised by O P Jindal Global Law University.
The book, which has articles by authors across the world, is edited by Keerty Nakray, Assistant Professor and Assistant Director of the Centre for Women, Law and Social Change at the Jindal Global Law School, a statement by the Sonepat-based University said.
The Delhi High Court judge also called for specific public health interventions and rehabilitation of the victims of such violence, the statement said.
At the same event, vice-chancellor of JGU, prof C Raj Kumar said, "The importance of universities and academics undertaking serious and empirical research on critical issues relating to violence against women and public health cannot be over emphasised. Keerty Nakray`s work is valuable for policy makers and for undertaking legislative and institutional reforms."
Former Vice-Chancellor of the Delhi University, Upendra Baxi stressed upon the need to take women`s rights seriously and implement them vigorously, the release said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!