Rape a tool for subjugating women: Delhi HC judge
New Delhi: Rape and gender-based violence are tools used to subjugate women, Justice Gita Mittal of the Delhi High Court said and called for effective ways, including reforms in laws, to address such crimes.
The judge said the issue of gender-based violence is directly related to equality, dignity and status of women and priority attention should be given in order to address this social ill.
Justice Mittal was speaking on the occasion of the release of a book titled `Gender Based Violence and Public Health: International Perspectives on Budgets and Policies` organised by O P Jindal Global Law University.
The book, which has articles by authors across the world, is edited by Keerty Nakray, Assistant Professor and Assistant Director of the Centre for Women, Law and Social Change at the Jindal Global Law School, a statement by the Sonepat-based University said.
The Delhi High Court judge also called for specific public health interventions and rehabilitation of the victims of such violence, the statement said.
At the same event, vice-chancellor of JGU, prof C Raj Kumar said, "The importance of universities and academics undertaking serious and empirical research on critical issues relating to violence against women and public health cannot be over emphasised. Keerty Nakray`s work is valuable for policy makers and for undertaking legislative and institutional reforms."
Former Vice-Chancellor of the Delhi University, Upendra Baxi stressed upon the need to take women`s rights seriously and implement them vigorously, the release said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened