Rape charge false, frivolous: Rahul tells SC
New Delhi: Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi has denied in the Supreme Court allegations that he had kept a girl and her parents in illegal confinement in Madhya Pradesh.
In a counter-affidavit filed in the apex court, Rahul submitted that the allegations made against him were "totally false, frivolous, vexatious and are calculated to harm my standing an image."
"It is respectfully submitted that a serious view should be taken of such allegations," the affidavit stated.
The apex court on April 6, last year had issued notice to Rahul Gandhi, Uttar Pradesh government and four others on a petition filed by a former MLA challenging Rs 50 lakh fine imposed on him by the Allahabad High Court in an alleged sexual exploitation case.
A bench of justices VS Sirpurkar(since retired) and TS Thakur while staying the high court order, which had also directed a CBI probe against the former legislator, asked the respondents to file their replies within four weeks.
The aggrieved former Samajwadi Party MLA from Madhya Pradesh Kishore Samrite had challenged the high court order alleging it to be illegal and arbitrary and issued without application of mind. He wanted the fine to be waived.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials