Rape charge false, frivolous: Rahul tells SC
New Delhi: Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi has denied in the Supreme Court allegations that he had kept a girl and her parents in illegal confinement in Madhya Pradesh.
In a counter-affidavit filed in the apex court, Rahul submitted that the allegations made against him were "totally false, frivolous, vexatious and are calculated to harm my standing an image."
"It is respectfully submitted that a serious view should be taken of such allegations," the affidavit stated.
The apex court on April 6, last year had issued notice to Rahul Gandhi, Uttar Pradesh government and four others on a petition filed by a former MLA challenging Rs 50 lakh fine imposed on him by the Allahabad High Court in an alleged sexual exploitation case.
A bench of justices VS Sirpurkar(since retired) and TS Thakur while staying the high court order, which had also directed a CBI probe against the former legislator, asked the respondents to file their replies within four weeks.
The aggrieved former Samajwadi Party MLA from Madhya Pradesh Kishore Samrite had challenged the high court order alleging it to be illegal and arbitrary and issued without application of mind. He wanted the fine to be waived.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack