Rape charge false, frivolous: Rahul tells SC
New Delhi: Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi has denied in the Supreme Court allegations that he had kept a girl and her parents in illegal confinement in Madhya Pradesh.
In a counter-affidavit filed in the apex court, Rahul submitted that the allegations made against him were "totally false, frivolous, vexatious and are calculated to harm my standing an image."
"It is respectfully submitted that a serious view should be taken of such allegations," the affidavit stated.
The apex court on April 6, last year had issued notice to Rahul Gandhi, Uttar Pradesh government and four others on a petition filed by a former MLA challenging Rs 50 lakh fine imposed on him by the Allahabad High Court in an alleged sexual exploitation case.
A bench of justices VS Sirpurkar(since retired) and TS Thakur while staying the high court order, which had also directed a CBI probe against the former legislator, asked the respondents to file their replies within four weeks.
The aggrieved former Samajwadi Party MLA from Madhya Pradesh Kishore Samrite had challenged the high court order alleging it to be illegal and arbitrary and issued without application of mind. He wanted the fine to be waived.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch