Rape incidents a concern for people planning to visit: Australian envoy
New Delhi: The media coverage of rape incidents in India has caused "some anxiety" among Australian women who plan to travel to India, Patrick Suckling, Australian High Commissioner to India, said on Friday.
He, however, said that he was unclear whether the number of Australians visiting India has come down following the recent rape incidents.
"I think the recent media on rapes in particular has caused some anxiety or some concern or second thinking by particularly women who might be thinking of travelling alone or in travelling groups. So, I don`t have any clear evidence to show there has been a drop of the Australians visiting India," Suckling told reporters here.
He was asked whether the issue fop safety is a concern for Australian government in the wake of 400 Australian students visiting India to study the Asian conditions.
Suckling said that Australians generally see India as a "very interesting and receptive if at times challenging place to come".
"Last year 183,000 Australians came to India to visit. 152,000 Indians visit Australia. That projects about 300,000 visit by 2020," he said.
The incident of the brutal gang-rape of a 23-year-old girl in New Delhi on December 16, last year had made news worldwide.
The Delhi girl was gang-raped in a moving bus and later she died at a hospital in Singapore where she was taken for the treatment.
There were incidents of rape of foreign nationals in the country that have sparked security concerns for foreign tourists.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended