Rape-murder triggers protests in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: The rape and murder of an eight-year-old girl in Odisha`s capital on tuesday triggered angry protests with hundreds of people on Wednesday blocking roads and staging demonstrations , police said.
Activists of Communist Party of India (Marxist) blocked a busy city road for hours by burning tyres and demanded compensation for the victim`s kin and strong action against the offender, a police officer told IANS.
The issue echoed in the ongoing monsoon session of the state assembly with members of opposition parties, including those of the Congress and the Bharatiya Janata Party, creating a noisy scene during Zero Hour and twice forcing adjournment of the proceedings.
Normalcy returned to the assembly only after state Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kalpataru Das assured members that Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik would make a statement on the matter.
According to the police, 22-year-old accused Ashok Sahu allegedly asked the victim`s family about an address in the city`s Salia Sahi slum, after which they sent the Class 4 student with him to lead him to the house, police said.
Instead of locating the house, Sahu allegedly took the girl to a secluded area of the slum and raped her before strangling her to death.
The incident occurred Tuesday afternoon, but came to light after the victim`s family and other residents searched for the girl when she did not return. The residents spotted her body in a nearby area and informed police.
A CCTV camera at the gate of a private college showed the accused leading the victim away. Locals nabbed Sahu and handed him over to police.
The victim`s family and the accused are daily-wage earners and residents of the same slum. They were known to each other, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official