Rape should be treated as more heinous than murder: Tariq Anwar
Patna: Senior NCP leader and Union State Minister Tariq Anwar on Saturday said rape should be treated as even more a heinous crime than murder for which laws should have stringent punishment provision including execution.
Expressing anguish over gang-rape of a girl in Delhi in a moving bus, Anwar told reporters that there should be amendment in the constitution and laws to prevent recurrence of such tragedy.
Anwar said strict legal provisions for rape in other countries should be studied to further strengthen own law against this inhuman act.
"In case of murder a person dies but in the event of rape the victim dies every day going through the trauma...," the NCP General Secretary said.
Anwar was here to address a meeting of women wing of NCP.
He favoured capital punishment for such a dastardly act.
"If the existing laws need any amendment to make punishment against rape more stringent it should be done immediately," he added.
Asked if special session of Parliament should be called to discuss the issue, the NCP leader said the Central government was serious over the matter.
The government was also considering the move to hold talks with all the parties for finding a solution to the menace with swelling public anguish over the incident.
On a question about quota in promotion for SC & ST, Anwar said NCP supports it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Met Dawood Ibrahim in London, he wanted to return to India: Ram Jethmalani
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem