Rape should be treated as more heinous than murder: Tariq Anwar
Patna: Senior NCP leader and Union State Minister Tariq Anwar on Saturday said rape should be treated as even more a heinous crime than murder for which laws should have stringent punishment provision including execution.
Expressing anguish over gang-rape of a girl in Delhi in a moving bus, Anwar told reporters that there should be amendment in the constitution and laws to prevent recurrence of such tragedy.
Anwar said strict legal provisions for rape in other countries should be studied to further strengthen own law against this inhuman act.
"In case of murder a person dies but in the event of rape the victim dies every day going through the trauma...," the NCP General Secretary said.
Anwar was here to address a meeting of women wing of NCP.
He favoured capital punishment for such a dastardly act.
"If the existing laws need any amendment to make punishment against rape more stringent it should be done immediately," he added.
Asked if special session of Parliament should be called to discuss the issue, the NCP leader said the Central government was serious over the matter.
The government was also considering the move to hold talks with all the parties for finding a solution to the menace with swelling public anguish over the incident.
On a question about quota in promotion for SC & ST, Anwar said NCP supports it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'US will continue to expand defense systems to protect South Korea, regional allies from North Korean missiles'
- Bandits kill 31 bush taxi passengers in Madagascar
- North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un hails successful test of new missile, says it can strike US Pacific bases
- LIC chairman S K Roy resigns two years before his term ends
- UEFA Euro 2016: Cristiano Ronaldo rescues Portugal; Belgium seal last-16 berth in Zlatan Ibrahimovic's farewell