Rape victim files complaint; K`taka minister booked
Shimoga/Bangalore: A CID inquiry was ordered
and police registered a case of rape today against H Halappa
who quit as Karnataka Minister following a charge of sexual
assault made by his friend`s wife.
As opposition mounted pressure for Halappa`s arrest, Chief
Minister B S Yeddyurappa announced a CID probe, saying "let
the truth come out. Whoever is guilty, should get punishment".
In Shimoga, police registered a case of rape against
Halappa after the victim formally lodged a complaint.
The FIR would be forwarded to CID in Bangalore, Shimoga
District Superintendent of Police Murugan told reporters.
The Congress staged a day-long dharna in the state
capital and protested in parts of the state demanding the
immediate arrest of Halappa who resigned after a media report
that claimed he had sexually assaulted his friend`s wife.
A delegation of Congress leaders called on Governor H R
Bhardwaj and presented him a memorandum demanding dismissal of
the state government and CBI probe into the issue.
Yeddyurappa flayed the opposition for raking up the issue
even after Halappa`s resignation and ordering of CID probe and
wondered why the issue was being raised days before next
week`s gram panchayat elections when the incident had
allegedly taken place in November last year.
"There is no doubt that it`s a conspiracy", State unit
BJP President K S Eswarappa said.
"Police will take action s per law. We will not pre-empt,
we will not prompt or side-track anything" Home Minister Dr V
S Acharya said after discussions with DGP Ajay Kumar Singh.
Halappa has dismissed the charge as baseless and said it
was a political conspiracy to defame him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda