Rapes happen in India, not Bharat: RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat
Silchar: At a time when ensuring women’s safety has become a top priority for the government, RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat has kicked-off a fresh controversy by saying that cases of rapes take place in India and not in Bharat (rural India).
Bhagwat made these remarks in Silchar while addressing a gathering of the RSS workers.
Speaking on the issues concerning women, the RSS chief said, “Such crimes (rapes) hardly take place in `Bharat`, but they occur frequently in `India`.
The ageing chief of the right-wing Hindu organisation also blamed the
western culture and the excessive urbanisation for rising crimes against women.
During his speech, Bhagwat said that those living in urban India are highly influenced with the `western` lifestyle and culture and this could be one of the reasons for increasing crimes against women.
However, he said that there is no erosion of moral values among those living in the rural India.
"You go to villages and forests of the country and there will be no such incidents of gang-rape or sex crimes. They are prevalent in some urban belts. Besides new legislations, Indian ethos and attitude towards women should be revisited in the context of ancient Indian values," Bhagwat was quoted as saying by the media.
The RSS concluded by demanding stringent laws against rape and favoured capital punishment for those convicted of such crimes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- Rio Olympics medallist Sakshi Malik to tie the knot soon: Report
- MPCA to decide on holding elections in Monday's AGM
- The solar system is home to millions of Jupiter-like planets, reveals NASA!
- Force India move up to fourth after strong finish in Belgium
- If Kashmir issue is not resolved under Modi, it will never be resolved: Mehbooba