Rapist should be awarded death penalty: Shantaram Naik
Panaji: Goa’s Parliamentarian Shantaram
Naik on Wednesday said that rapist of minors should be awarded death
sentence and all the rape cases should be prosecuted within
six months through fast track courts.
Naik, a lone Rajya Sabha member from Goa, said
over phone from Delhi that the rapist of minors should be
subjected to death sentence and if required Indian Penal Code
(IPC) should be amended to include this provision.
The Rajya Sabha member was reacting to the rape on
nine-year-old Russian girl at Arambol beach on January 26
evening. Naik had earlier stirred hornet’s nest after his
statement on the floor of the house that rape of a lady who
moves with strangers for days together, even beyond middle of
the night, is to be treated on a different footing.
Naik, a Congressman, said that fast track courts or
special courts should be set up to deal with these cases,
which needs urgent justice.
Speaking about spate of rape cases in Goa, Naik said
that there is a wrong impression nationally that Goa
government is not doing much to control these offences.
"Thats not true.. Goa government is serious in
curbing such cases and has been working overtime to prevent
such crimes," he said.
Naik said that he will take up the issue of stringent
punishment to criminals raping minors during the next Rajya
Goa, which had earned bad name after a local
politician allegedly raped 25-year-old girl, received another
setback for its image after mother of nine-year-old Russian
girl alleged that her daughter was raped by unidentified
The incident that happened at Arambol beach on the
Republic Day is being probed by Russian woman at Pernem
The police complaint mentioned that one man began
conversation with Russian mother while another raped her
daughter who was playing in the water.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi