Rapist should be awarded death penalty: Shantaram Naik
Panaji: Goa’s Parliamentarian Shantaram
Naik on Wednesday said that rapist of minors should be awarded death
sentence and all the rape cases should be prosecuted within
six months through fast track courts.
Naik, a lone Rajya Sabha member from Goa, said
over phone from Delhi that the rapist of minors should be
subjected to death sentence and if required Indian Penal Code
(IPC) should be amended to include this provision.
The Rajya Sabha member was reacting to the rape on
nine-year-old Russian girl at Arambol beach on January 26
evening. Naik had earlier stirred hornet’s nest after his
statement on the floor of the house that rape of a lady who
moves with strangers for days together, even beyond middle of
the night, is to be treated on a different footing.
Naik, a Congressman, said that fast track courts or
special courts should be set up to deal with these cases,
which needs urgent justice.
Speaking about spate of rape cases in Goa, Naik said
that there is a wrong impression nationally that Goa
government is not doing much to control these offences.
"Thats not true.. Goa government is serious in
curbing such cases and has been working overtime to prevent
such crimes," he said.
Naik said that he will take up the issue of stringent
punishment to criminals raping minors during the next Rajya
Goa, which had earned bad name after a local
politician allegedly raped 25-year-old girl, received another
setback for its image after mother of nine-year-old Russian
girl alleged that her daughter was raped by unidentified
The incident that happened at Arambol beach on the
Republic Day is being probed by Russian woman at Pernem
The police complaint mentioned that one man began
conversation with Russian mother while another raped her
daughter who was playing in the water.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in