Rapists should be hanged: Sushma Swaraj
New Delhi: Appalled at the horrific gang-rape in a Delhi bus, Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj on Tuesday called for capital punishment for those guilty of such crimes. She was speaking during the Zero Hour in the Lok Sabha.
“There are no words to condemn such incidents. A victim of rape is neither dead nor alive. Even if the wounds of the victim heal physically, the mental trauma makes her a living dead,” said Swaraj.
The 23 year old para-medical victim was travelling with her male companion and had boarded a chartered bus with tinted glass windows from Munirka in South Delhi around 9.45 pm to Palam on Sunday. They were assaulted with an iron rod by the men after the two resisted. Later, they were dumped on the road side near Mahipalpur flyover.
Swaraj asked as to what is the central government, police and chief minister of Delhi doing to prevent such incidents in the city.
“Suggestions like don’t step out alone at night are given, but what about the call centre employees who mostly belong to the middle class and move out of their homes to earn a living? Going by the suggestion, the gang-rape incident did not even take place that late in the night. It was around 9:30 pm and victim was accompanied by a male friend,” she said.
Meanwhile, Parliamentary Affairs Minister said that strict action will be taken in the case and steps will be taken to prevent such future incidents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan