Rapists should be hanged: Sushma Swaraj
New Delhi: Appalled at the horrific gang-rape in a Delhi bus, Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj on Tuesday called for capital punishment for those guilty of such crimes. She was speaking during the Zero Hour in the Lok Sabha.
“There are no words to condemn such incidents. A victim of rape is neither dead nor alive. Even if the wounds of the victim heal physically, the mental trauma makes her a living dead,” said Swaraj.
The 23 year old para-medical victim was travelling with her male companion and had boarded a chartered bus with tinted glass windows from Munirka in South Delhi around 9.45 pm to Palam on Sunday. They were assaulted with an iron rod by the men after the two resisted. Later, they were dumped on the road side near Mahipalpur flyover.
Swaraj asked as to what is the central government, police and chief minister of Delhi doing to prevent such incidents in the city.
“Suggestions like don’t step out alone at night are given, but what about the call centre employees who mostly belong to the middle class and move out of their homes to earn a living? Going by the suggestion, the gang-rape incident did not even take place that late in the night. It was around 9:30 pm and victim was accompanied by a male friend,” she said.
Meanwhile, Parliamentary Affairs Minister said that strict action will be taken in the case and steps will be taken to prevent such future incidents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa