Rapists should be `hanged till death`, says Jaya Prada
Panaji: Rapists should be "hanged till death", according to Lok Sabha MP Jaya Prada. She also said that people in Uttar Pradesh have started to believe that corruption is better than crime as they "are scared for their lives".
She was speaking to a news agency on Monday in Panaji on the sidelines of her visit to Goa, where a film produced by her is being shot.
Asked to comment on the controversy and outrage caused by the alleged rape of a former junior employee of newsweekly Tehelka by editor-in-chief Tarun Tejpal, she said that rapists should be "hanged and punished till death".
She also said that it was not just that women were unsafe in Uttar Pradesh alone, but places like Mumbai and Delhi too were unsafe.
Commenting on the increase in crime in Uttar Pradesh, the Rampur MP, who was formerly a senior member of the Samajwadi Party, Jaya Prada said that people in Uttar Pradesh preferred corruption to crime.
"This time, in Mulayam Singh`s government people are scared for their lives. There is no protection to women and children or to common people. People say corruption is better than crime...killing people," Jaya Prada said, citing the Muzzafarnagar violence as an example.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!