Rashtrapati Bhavan library gets audio-visual section
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee on Thursday inaugurated a new audio-visual section in the Rashtrapati Bhavan library which will house historical speeches, films and footage.
The new section brings together archival material procured from All India Radio (AIR), Films Division and Doordarshan.
"The president watched a newsreel on the departure of Lord Mountbattenfrom India and swearing in of Rajaji (C. Rajagopalachari) as the first Indian Governor General obtained from the Films Division archives," said a statement from the presidential secretariat.
He also listened to speeches of Rajagopalachari, and presidents Rajendra Prasad and S Radhakrishnan on different topics obtained from the AIR archives, it added.
The section also includes speeches by Lord Mountbatten and Zakir Husain. In addition, it has films on the lives of Rajagopalachari, Rajendra Prasad, Zakir Husain, Radhakrishnan and the first Republic Day parade etc.
Housing over 15,000 books, the library was in a dilapidated condition until last year, when President Mukherjee expressed his wish to restore it to its original pristine glory of the 1950 era.
The library, which faces the Rashtrapati Bavan forecourt and provides a grand view of both the South and North Blocks, as well as of Raisina Hill and the magnificent boulevard stretching three kilometres to the India Gate martyrs` memorial received a major facelift in September, 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read