Ravi invites Indians in Kuwait to attend NRI event
Dubai: Minister of Overseas Indian Affairs Vayalar Ravi on Sunday asked Indians in Kuwait to attend the 11th Pravasi Bhartiya Divas, which is scheduled to be held in Cochin in January next year, saying that the event`s focus would be on issues facing NRIs.
Ravi asked those present at a Pravasi Bhartiya Divas promotional event in Kuwait to take part in the NRI event from January 07 to 09 as he wrapped up his two-day visit to the Gulf nation.
He was accompanied by TK Manoj Kumar, Joint Secretary, Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs and VN Ajayan, additional private secretary to the minister.
Kuwait was the first stop-over in the minister`s visit to the Gulf region in connection with Pravasi Bhartiya Divas (PBD) 2013.
During the visit, the Embassy of India, Kuwait, organised a Pravasi Bhartiya Divas promotional event at its premises which was attended by a large number of people from the Indian community.
India`s Ambassador to Kuwait Satish C Mehta was present on the occasion.
Ravi urged those present to attend Pravasi Bhartiya Divas and said that during the event the focus would be on issues facing Indians abroad and the participants would have the opportunity to interact with chief ministers of various states.
He also highlighted various measures initiated by his ministry aimed at the welfare of Indians working overseas.
Earlier in the day, Ravi interacted with members of Indian Doctors Forum. Later, he also attended a dinner hosted by the Indian Business Council.
Government of India has been organising Pravasi Bhartiya Divas every year since 2003 to recognise and highlight the contribution of the Indian community abroad in the country`s development.
Pravasi Bhartiya Samman Awards are also conferred on the occasion every year.
The event has become a significant forum to connect overseas Indians from across the globe.
About 2,000 Non-Resident Indians and Persons of Indian Origin from all over the world are expected to participate in Pravasi Bhartiya Divas 2013.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre