Ravi Shankar, Javed Akhtar, Jagjit Singh call on Sonia
New Delhi: Sitar maestro Pandit Ravi Shankar,
lyricist Javed Akhtar, ghazal singer Jagjit Singh and
composer-singer Shankar Mahadevan met Congress president Sonia
Gandhi here today.
Congress sources described the meeting as a courtesy call
but did not divulge the details. The meeting took place close
on the heels of Union Cabinet amending Copyright Act 1957 and
planning to bring the Bill in the Budget Session of
They had earlier thanked the government soon after the
Bill was approved by the Cabinet which is in favour of
lyricists, music composers and singers.
The procedure of the amendments to the Bill was put in
process in May last year, when an informal delegation from the
music industry led by Akhtar met Union HRD Minister Kapil
Sibal and submitted their petition with suggested changes in
The artistes had said the changes in the Act will reduce
the possibility of their being "exploited by music directors,
producers and the film companies."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Saudi prince Turki Bin Saud Al-Kabir executed for murder in rare case
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!
- India can only 'bark', its products can't compete: Chinese state media
- Sania Mirza trolls Sanjay Manjrekar on Twitter after completing 80 consecutive weeks as World No. 1 doubles player