Ravi Shankar, Javed Akhtar, Jagjit Singh call on Sonia
New Delhi: Sitar maestro Pandit Ravi Shankar,
lyricist Javed Akhtar, ghazal singer Jagjit Singh and
composer-singer Shankar Mahadevan met Congress president Sonia
Gandhi here today.
Congress sources described the meeting as a courtesy call
but did not divulge the details. The meeting took place close
on the heels of Union Cabinet amending Copyright Act 1957 and
planning to bring the Bill in the Budget Session of
They had earlier thanked the government soon after the
Bill was approved by the Cabinet which is in favour of
lyricists, music composers and singers.
The procedure of the amendments to the Bill was put in
process in May last year, when an informal delegation from the
music industry led by Akhtar met Union HRD Minister Kapil
Sibal and submitted their petition with suggested changes in
The artistes had said the changes in the Act will reduce
the possibility of their being "exploited by music directors,
producers and the film companies."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre