Ravi Shankar set to become BJP Dy leader in RS
New Delhi: Ravi Shankar Prasad is set to become the new Deputy Leader of the BJP in the Rajya Sabha with Parliamentary Party chief L K Advani Thursday recommending his name for the post to the Vice-President.
Advani wrote to Vice-President Hamid Ansari, who is also the ex-officio chairman of the Rajya Sabha, nominating Prasad to the post of Deputy Leader of BJP. The position was lying vacant since S S Ahluwalia completed his term in the Upper House and then failed to get re-elected from Jharkhand during the recent biennial polls.
Prasad, a senior lawyer of the Supreme Court, will assist Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley. He is also the chief spokesperson and general secretary of the BJP.
A former Minister of State in the Atal Bihari Vajpayee government, Prasad served in the Coal, Mining, Law and Justice, and Information and Broadcasting ministries.
The leader from Bihar was recently given a third term in the Rajya Sabha from his state. He had started his political career as an activist in the Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP), the student wing of the BJP. He was arrested in the JP Movement in Bihar and also actively opposed the National Emergency in the 1970s.
As a lawyer-activist, Prasad fought the PIL in the fodder scam in his home state Bihar and was instrumental in the incarceration of several politicians and bureaucrats, including former Chief Minister Lalu Prasad in the case.
Prasad was also lawyer in the Ayodhya Ram temple title suit case. He represented Ram Lalla, the deity, in the case. The court had ordered trifurcation of the land with one part going to Ram Lalla and the Hindus.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city