RAW urged to reveal sexual harassment, graft cases
New Delhi: The Central Information Commission has directed the country`s external intelligence agency RAW to disclose details of sexual harassment, human rights violation and corruption cases registered against its officials.
While hearing an appeal filed under the Right to Information Act on June 26, the CIC rejected the plea made by Research and Analysis Wing (RAW) of being an exempted organisation under the transparency act and directed it to provide all details related to the cases within ten days.
The RAW was in May 2010 asked to share information on cases related to sexual harassment, human rights violation and corruption registered against its officials along with its status by an applicant.
Both the Central Public Information Officer (CPIO) and the first appellate authority (FAA) have declined to share the information citing exemption clause of the RTI Act.
During the hearing before Central Information Commissioner Satyananda Mishra, the officials of the Cabinet Secretariat, which controls RAW, argued that their organisation being an exempted one was not required to disclose the desired information.
Besides, they also argued that this was an indirect attempt to elicit information from an exempted organisation, and, therefore, should not be acceded to.
"After carefully considering the facts of the case, we are of the view that the desired information is clearly covered under the proviso to section 24 of the Right to Information (RTI) Act.
"The desired information is about details of cases registered against officials of this organisation for corruption, human rights violation and sexual exploitation. All these three categories of offences are covered by the proviso to section 24 and, therefore, any information in this regard will have to be disclosed," the CIC held.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- Jallikattu protests LIVE: Fire at police station near Chennai's Marina Beach; police disperse protesters