Raytheon bags Boeing radar deal for India aircraft
Farnboruogh (UK): US defence and
aerospace major Raytheon has bagged a contract from Boeing for
developing a new long-range, multi-mission radar that will be
installed in the sophisticated P-8I surveillance aircraft
being built for the Indian Navy, the company said Sunday.
"The maritime and overland surveillance radar, APY-10,
will be put on Boeing`s P-8I being built for the Indian Navy.
This is the first international contract award for Raytheon`s
programme, extending the company`s considerable presence in
the international maritime surveillance market," said Tim
Carey, vice president of Raytheon`s Intelligence Surveillance
and Reconnaissance Systems.
India signed a USD 2.1 billion deal with top aircraft
manufacturer Boeing for eight P-8I planes in 2009. The first
of the aircraft is scheduled to be delivered to India in 2012.
"Our APY-10 radar will provide the Indian Navy with
proven, low-risk technology built on generations of successful
Raytheon radar systems," Carey, who is here to attend
Farnborough International Air Show, one of the largest in the
"We are committed to providing reliable systems that
keep our customer safe and help them achieve mission success,"
The APY-10 radar delivers accurate and actionable
information in all weather, day and night, for anti-submarine
and anti-surface warship operations and for intelligence,
surveillance and reconnaissance mission support, said Neil K
Peterson, Raytheon`s director of strategy and business
A member of the industry team that Boeing leads for
the US Navy`s P-8A programme, Raytheon is also under contract
with Boeing to provide six APY-10 systems and spares for the
P-8A, of which the P-8I is a variant. Four of the six radar
systems have been delivered and Raytheon remains on or ahead
of the production schedule, said Peterson.
"The radar we will be giving to the Indian Navy`s
planes will have more features than those with The US Navy,"
The radars will be able to work at significantly
tactical ranges and also detect small targets.
They will be capable of image targeting at very long
ranges and also be able to carry out overall land operations
including in the coastal regions.
Asked about the value of the radar deal with Boeing,
Peterson said, "We can`t disclose this as yet. We are working
out all the details."
Raytheon, an 88-year-old company with sales of over A
USD 25 billion, is a technology and innovation leader
specialising in defence, homeland security and other
government markets throughout the world.
The biennial Farnborough show traditionally sees the
announcement of orders for military jets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in