Re-launching of scheme on model degree colleges: Govt gets Parl panel rap
New Delhi: The government on Tuesday came under attack from a Parliamentary panel over the "relaunching" of a scheme to set up model degree colleges under a new programme, as it feared that such a move would only delay the reach of the schemes to the targeted beneficiaries.
The model degree colleges programme of 2010 aims at setting up of the colleges in the identified 374 educationally backward districts, but it is set to be subsumed under the proposed Rashtriya Ucchatar Shiksha Abhiyan programme during the 12th Plan.
"The committee apprehends that this relaunching of the scheme under a new umbrella scheme will only lead to further delay," the Parliamentary Standing Committee on HRD said in its report tabled on Tuesday in Parliament.
"The committee does not appreciate the practice of launching a new scheme and then after a gap of only two-three years, relaunching the same in a different form. Such a trend only delays the reach of the new schemes to the targetted beneficiaries," it said.
It also noted that the model degree college programme, in itself, is progressing at a slow pace.
Expressing serious concern over the huge backlog in the teaching position in central universities and other technical institutes, it sought a "concerted effort" from the HRD Ministry for filling up of the vacant positions.
"... It should formulate strategies for attracting and retaining talented youth in the teaching profession. The committee also emphasises that UGC should play a more pro- active role and understands the urgency of the matter," it said.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today