Re-launching of scheme on model degree colleges: Govt gets Parl panel rap
New Delhi: The government on Tuesday came under attack from a Parliamentary panel over the "relaunching" of a scheme to set up model degree colleges under a new programme, as it feared that such a move would only delay the reach of the schemes to the targeted beneficiaries.
The model degree colleges programme of 2010 aims at setting up of the colleges in the identified 374 educationally backward districts, but it is set to be subsumed under the proposed Rashtriya Ucchatar Shiksha Abhiyan programme during the 12th Plan.
"The committee apprehends that this relaunching of the scheme under a new umbrella scheme will only lead to further delay," the Parliamentary Standing Committee on HRD said in its report tabled on Tuesday in Parliament.
"The committee does not appreciate the practice of launching a new scheme and then after a gap of only two-three years, relaunching the same in a different form. Such a trend only delays the reach of the new schemes to the targetted beneficiaries," it said.
It also noted that the model degree college programme, in itself, is progressing at a slow pace.
Expressing serious concern over the huge backlog in the teaching position in central universities and other technical institutes, it sought a "concerted effort" from the HRD Ministry for filling up of the vacant positions.
"... It should formulate strategies for attracting and retaining talented youth in the teaching profession. The committee also emphasises that UGC should play a more pro- active role and understands the urgency of the matter," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Sensex shows traction, up 117 on monsoon update, strong Q4
- High-speed Spanish Talgo train begins trial run, to be introduced on Delhi-Mumbai route
- Want to improve your sex life? Ditch tampons for menstrual cups!
- Batla House encounter: BJP protests outside Sonia Gandhi's residence
- 'FIR' actor Suresh Chatwal no more, co-star Kavita Kaushik expresses grief