Re-launching of scheme on model degree colleges: Govt gets Parl panel rap
New Delhi: The government on Tuesday came under attack from a Parliamentary panel over the "relaunching" of a scheme to set up model degree colleges under a new programme, as it feared that such a move would only delay the reach of the schemes to the targeted beneficiaries.
The model degree colleges programme of 2010 aims at setting up of the colleges in the identified 374 educationally backward districts, but it is set to be subsumed under the proposed Rashtriya Ucchatar Shiksha Abhiyan programme during the 12th Plan.
"The committee apprehends that this relaunching of the scheme under a new umbrella scheme will only lead to further delay," the Parliamentary Standing Committee on HRD said in its report tabled on Tuesday in Parliament.
"The committee does not appreciate the practice of launching a new scheme and then after a gap of only two-three years, relaunching the same in a different form. Such a trend only delays the reach of the new schemes to the targetted beneficiaries," it said.
It also noted that the model degree college programme, in itself, is progressing at a slow pace.
Expressing serious concern over the huge backlog in the teaching position in central universities and other technical institutes, it sought a "concerted effort" from the HRD Ministry for filling up of the vacant positions.
"... It should formulate strategies for attracting and retaining talented youth in the teaching profession. The committee also emphasises that UGC should play a more pro- active role and understands the urgency of the matter," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog