READ: Full text of Sri Lanka`s apology to Modi, Jaya
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: An article published by Sri Lankan defence website led to political furore on Friday accompanied by protests cutting across party lines demanding an apology and that India severe ties with the island nation.
The article critical of Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa was accompanied by a graphic image of Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Later in the day Sri Lanka tendered an unqualified apology to PM Modi and TN Chief Minister.
The apology posted on Lankan Defence Ministry website read —
“An article titled `How meaningful are Jayalalitha`s love letters to Narendra Modi?` had appeared on our website along with a graphical portrayal of Hon. Prime Minister of India and Hon Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu.
The article which had been published without appropriate authorization and not reflecting any official position of the Government of Sri Lanka or Ministry of Defence and Urban Development has since been removed.
We extend an unqualified apology to the Hon Prime Minister of India and Hon Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Watch: Panel discussion on students turning traitors at JNU - Part IV
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"