READ: Full text of Sri Lanka`s apology to Modi, Jaya
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: An article published by Sri Lankan defence website led to political furore on Friday accompanied by protests cutting across party lines demanding an apology and that India severe ties with the island nation.
The article critical of Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa was accompanied by a graphic image of Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Later in the day Sri Lanka tendered an unqualified apology to PM Modi and TN Chief Minister.
The apology posted on Lankan Defence Ministry website read —
“An article titled `How meaningful are Jayalalitha`s love letters to Narendra Modi?` had appeared on our website along with a graphical portrayal of Hon. Prime Minister of India and Hon Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu.
The article which had been published without appropriate authorization and not reflecting any official position of the Government of Sri Lanka or Ministry of Defence and Urban Development has since been removed.
We extend an unqualified apology to the Hon Prime Minister of India and Hon Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan