READ: Full text of Sri Lanka`s apology to Modi, Jaya
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: An article published by Sri Lankan defence website led to political furore on Friday accompanied by protests cutting across party lines demanding an apology and that India severe ties with the island nation.
The article critical of Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa was accompanied by a graphic image of Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Later in the day Sri Lanka tendered an unqualified apology to PM Modi and TN Chief Minister.
The apology posted on Lankan Defence Ministry website read —
“An article titled `How meaningful are Jayalalitha`s love letters to Narendra Modi?` had appeared on our website along with a graphical portrayal of Hon. Prime Minister of India and Hon Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu.
The article which had been published without appropriate authorization and not reflecting any official position of the Government of Sri Lanka or Ministry of Defence and Urban Development has since been removed.
We extend an unqualified apology to the Hon Prime Minister of India and Hon Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack