READ: Full text of Sri Lanka`s apology to Modi, Jaya
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: An article published by Sri Lankan defence website led to political furore on Friday accompanied by protests cutting across party lines demanding an apology and that India severe ties with the island nation.
The article critical of Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa was accompanied by a graphic image of Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Later in the day Sri Lanka tendered an unqualified apology to PM Modi and TN Chief Minister.
The apology posted on Lankan Defence Ministry website read —
“An article titled `How meaningful are Jayalalitha`s love letters to Narendra Modi?` had appeared on our website along with a graphical portrayal of Hon. Prime Minister of India and Hon Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu.
The article which had been published without appropriate authorization and not reflecting any official position of the Government of Sri Lanka or Ministry of Defence and Urban Development has since been removed.
We extend an unqualified apology to the Hon Prime Minister of India and Hon Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?