New Delhi: As the government plans to approach the Supreme Court for speedy disposal of all cases against him, renowned painter M F Husain on Sunday said he is ready to return to India at the earliest.
Husain, who is on a self-imposed exile, said he "wholeheartedly”, welcomes the government`s move, which will end litigations against him arising out of his paintings.
"If right now I get a call from Mr Chidambaram (Union Home Minister), I will take the first flight to India and congratulate him that the government has done really good," he told an agency over phone from Dubai.
Home Ministry sources said cases filed against Husain
across the country over his controversial paintings should be
brought to a logical end and that the Centre was contemplating
to move the Supreme Court for their expeditious disposal to
ensure his early return.
"I am glad that they have woken up. I think this is a
great news which I was dreaming about for four years. I was
expecting this for a long time," said the 94-year-old painter,
who has repeatedly expressed his wish to return to India.
Husain, whose paintings depicting Hindu deities in the
nude led to protests and threats by saffron outfits, has
been living in Dubai and London for the past few years.
Asked whether he was approached by anyone from the
government on his possible return, Husain said, "nothing. Not
He made it clear that said there was no ban on him from
any quarter. "There is no ban on me, nothing," he said.
The Delhi High Court in May last year had quashed some of
the criminal proceedings against the nonogenarian painter,
saying his paintings were an expression of creativity.
Husain said the fresh indications from authorities were a
"positive sign" and expressed trust in the government`s
ability to protect him.
"If they decide to do it they can, because its a huge big
country and a great country," he said.