Ready to face no-confidence motion: Congress
New Delhi: Congress on Saturday downplayed Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee`s plans to bring in a no confidence motion against the government, saying it was ready for the floor test as it has majority in Lok Sabha.
"Congress is ready to face a no confidence motion. We have majority," party spokesperson Rashid Alvi told reporters soon after Banerjee, who had parted ways with UPA in September over FDI in retail and other issues, said her party will bring a no-confidence motion on the first day of the winter session.
At the same time, Alvi suggested that the Trinamool would not be able to bring such a motion without the support of "communal forces", a reference to BJP.
"Every party is within its right to bring any motion under Parliamentary rules. If Banerjee wants to bring in a no confidence motion, we have nothing to say. But at least 50 MPs are required to bring such a motion. It is a different matter if somebody brings it by joining hands with communal forces," he said.
He stressed that the government enjoyed majority and that the Lok Sabha elections will be held on time in 2014.
In response to a question on Manmohan Singh inviting BJP leaders for dinner tonight ahead of Winter session of Parliament which has now been cancelled in view of Shiv Sena leader Bal Thackeray`s death, Alvi said the Prime Minister wants to build consensus on all issues.
"We have tried to build consensus on FDI because we think it is in the interest of the nation," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi