Ready to face no-confidence motion: Congress
New Delhi: Congress on Saturday downplayed Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee`s plans to bring in a no confidence motion against the government, saying it was ready for the floor test as it has majority in Lok Sabha.
"Congress is ready to face a no confidence motion. We have majority," party spokesperson Rashid Alvi told reporters soon after Banerjee, who had parted ways with UPA in September over FDI in retail and other issues, said her party will bring a no-confidence motion on the first day of the winter session.
At the same time, Alvi suggested that the Trinamool would not be able to bring such a motion without the support of "communal forces", a reference to BJP.
"Every party is within its right to bring any motion under Parliamentary rules. If Banerjee wants to bring in a no confidence motion, we have nothing to say. But at least 50 MPs are required to bring such a motion. It is a different matter if somebody brings it by joining hands with communal forces," he said.
He stressed that the government enjoyed majority and that the Lok Sabha elections will be held on time in 2014.
In response to a question on Manmohan Singh inviting BJP leaders for dinner tonight ahead of Winter session of Parliament which has now been cancelled in view of Shiv Sena leader Bal Thackeray`s death, Alvi said the Prime Minister wants to build consensus on all issues.
"We have tried to build consensus on FDI because we think it is in the interest of the nation," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC