Ready to wait ‘a little longer’ for Telangana: TRS
Hyderabad: Apparently, in view of the continuing unrest in the state and the en masse resignation by legislators, the Telangana Rashtra Samiti (TRS) sounded conciliatory on Saturday and announced that it was willing to wait for the creation of a separate Telangana state carved out of Andhra Pradesh.
Clearing the air on their current position, especially in view of the stiff opposition by people and politicians from Rayalaseema and Coastal Andhra, senior TRS leader KT Rama Rao said, “We are willing to wait a little longer for the resolution to be passed in the Assembly.”
Observing that adverse reactions are to be expected when new states are formed, Rao said, “We understand the Congress’ dilemma; we are thankful to UPA for its commitment to create Telangana.”
Importantly, he also pledged that there will be no more protest in Telangana over the issue.
However, the sudden mild tenor from the TRS is also being seen as a tactical move by the party to let the tempers cool down as there has been a massive build up of opinion against Telangana in other parts of the state.
This approach was evident even on the day when party chief K Chandrashekhar Rao was discharged from the hospital. He, instead of going back home in a rally, decided to drive down without any fanfare. No speeches… nothing for now.
What’s also forcing the TRS to adopt a wait-and-watch approach is the apparent cold shoulder given by the Centre. Post the midnight announcement by P Chidambaram, the government has made it absolutely clear that it won’t hurry into the creation of Telangana.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, himself, has made it clear that the government won’t take any hasty decision on the issue and would look forward to building a consensus.
The fact remains: main reason for the ‘go slow’ approach is the near total mutiny by Congress MPs and MLAs from Rayalaseema and Coastal Andhra against the decision to split the state.
The Congress is also wary of taking a call on Hyderabad – the biggest bone of contention in the entire issue. Geographically, Cyberabad has to be in Telangana but the problem is that 80% of businesses in the city of Nizams are controlled by people from Coastal Andhra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’