Reasons for firing off Dubai coast to be known after probe: US
New Delhi: Regretting the killing of an Indian fisherman allegedly by US Navy personnel off the Dubai coast earlier this month, the United States on Monday said two parallel investigations have been ordered into the incident and reasons for it will be known only when these are complete.
"We don`t know, the investigation is not complete. Two parallel investigations are on, they will be transparent about the results. I just don`t know the results," US Deputy Secretary of Defense Ashton B Carter told reporters here.
He was replying to a question on whether the personnel on-board US Navy`s supply ship had issued any warning before opening fire. The Indian sailors who survived the firing have claimed that no warning was issued by the warship.
"I just don`t know. We don`t know exactly what happened. Obviously we very much regret the loss of life and injury... Its regrettable, any loss of life. But honestly we don`t know what happened, we will not until the investigation is fully complete," Carter said.
Underlining the security environment in the Indian Ocean Region (IOR), he said, "Obviously it`s the dangerous part of the world, and we have real security concerns."
Carter was talking to reporters on the sidelines of a conference organised by Confederation of Indian Industries on the issue of improving the environment for joint cooperation between US and India.
The shooting incident took place on July 16 near Jabel Ali- 30 miles southwest of Dubai and an investigation is being carried out by the United Arab Emirates (UAE) authorities.
Meanwhile, maintaining that outcome of the probe will clarify all doubts on the incident, US recently claimed that naval ship had forewarned the Indian fishermen before opening fire.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez