Reconsider decision to pull out from UPA: IUML to DMK
New Delhi: UPA ally IUML on Wednesday urged DMK chief M Karunanidhi to reconsider his decision of withdrawing support to UPA government on Sri Lankan Tamil issue.
Indian Union Muslim League, which has two members in Lok
Sabha from Kerala, is also an ally of DMK in Tamil Nadu.
In a press release, IUML president and Minister of State
for External Affairs E Ahmed said, "As a long standing ally, DMK should not take a stand to weaken the UPA government when the country is passing through such a critical juncture."
Reiterating his party`s deepest sympathies with Sri Lankan Tamils, he said the Centre was always prepared to support DMK`s stand to the extent possible.
"However, it is difficult to support DMK`s stand in totality as this may have long-term international ramifications for India," Ahmed said in the release.
He said India`s position on the issue is in conformity with its long standing traditional position on such matters in international affairs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez