Reconsider flag hoisting: Interlocutors to BJP
Jammu: Three interlocutors on Jammu and Kashmir Wednesday made a forceful plea to the Bhartiya Janta Party (BJP) to "reconsider" its decision to hoist the national tricolour in Srinagar`s Lal Chowk.
Briefing media about their fourth visit of the state, the interlocutors said they were making this suggestion because of the situation in the Valley.
During their fourth visit to the state, the interlocutors appointed by the Central government achieved a major success as they could speak to leaders of the BJP and the Jammu and Kashmir National Panthers Party who had earlier refused to meet them.
Noted journalist Dileep Padgaonkar, who heads the three-member team that also has academician Radha Kumar and former information commissioner MM Ansari as members, said: "It is the right of every Indian citizen to hoist the national flag, but keeping in view the situation we would suggest those wanting to unfurl the flag in Srinagar on January 26 should reconsider their decision."
He said that the visit was fruitful. "We could meet and talk to lot many people, political groups like the BJP and the Panthers Party, hear their point of view," Padgaonkar said.
The interlocutors during their three-day stay here met university professors, intellectuals, leaders of the BJP and the Panthers Party, and a cross-section of people in Jammu and Udhampur. They are leaving for Srinagar for the second and the final leg of their fourth visit to the state.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed