Reconsider flag hoisting: Interlocutors to BJP
Jammu: Three interlocutors on Jammu and Kashmir Wednesday made a forceful plea to the Bhartiya Janta Party (BJP) to "reconsider" its decision to hoist the national tricolour in Srinagar`s Lal Chowk.
Briefing media about their fourth visit of the state, the interlocutors said they were making this suggestion because of the situation in the Valley.
During their fourth visit to the state, the interlocutors appointed by the Central government achieved a major success as they could speak to leaders of the BJP and the Jammu and Kashmir National Panthers Party who had earlier refused to meet them.
Noted journalist Dileep Padgaonkar, who heads the three-member team that also has academician Radha Kumar and former information commissioner MM Ansari as members, said: "It is the right of every Indian citizen to hoist the national flag, but keeping in view the situation we would suggest those wanting to unfurl the flag in Srinagar on January 26 should reconsider their decision."
He said that the visit was fruitful. "We could meet and talk to lot many people, political groups like the BJP and the Panthers Party, hear their point of view," Padgaonkar said.
The interlocutors during their three-day stay here met university professors, intellectuals, leaders of the BJP and the Panthers Party, and a cross-section of people in Jammu and Udhampur. They are leaving for Srinagar for the second and the final leg of their fourth visit to the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zakir Naik's 'IRF' converted many to Islam?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Sony Xperia XA Ultra launched in India at Rs 29,990
- RS condemns brutal rape of 4-year old in Delhi
- Terrifying video: Chinese woman mauled to death by tiger at Badaling Wildlife Park
- Congress MP moves privilege motion against Naqvi in RS
- Narsingh Pancham Yadav doping scandal: He can't do something like this, says Yogeshwar Dutt