Reconsider flag hoisting: Interlocutors to BJP
Jammu: Three interlocutors on Jammu and Kashmir Wednesday made a forceful plea to the Bhartiya Janta Party (BJP) to "reconsider" its decision to hoist the national tricolour in Srinagar`s Lal Chowk.
Briefing media about their fourth visit of the state, the interlocutors said they were making this suggestion because of the situation in the Valley.
During their fourth visit to the state, the interlocutors appointed by the Central government achieved a major success as they could speak to leaders of the BJP and the Jammu and Kashmir National Panthers Party who had earlier refused to meet them.
Noted journalist Dileep Padgaonkar, who heads the three-member team that also has academician Radha Kumar and former information commissioner MM Ansari as members, said: "It is the right of every Indian citizen to hoist the national flag, but keeping in view the situation we would suggest those wanting to unfurl the flag in Srinagar on January 26 should reconsider their decision."
He said that the visit was fruitful. "We could meet and talk to lot many people, political groups like the BJP and the Panthers Party, hear their point of view," Padgaonkar said.
The interlocutors during their three-day stay here met university professors, intellectuals, leaders of the BJP and the Panthers Party, and a cross-section of people in Jammu and Udhampur. They are leaving for Srinagar for the second and the final leg of their fourth visit to the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow