Reconsider flag hoisting: Interlocutors to BJP
Jammu: Three interlocutors on Jammu and Kashmir Wednesday made a forceful plea to the Bhartiya Janta Party (BJP) to "reconsider" its decision to hoist the national tricolour in Srinagar`s Lal Chowk.
Briefing media about their fourth visit of the state, the interlocutors said they were making this suggestion because of the situation in the Valley.
During their fourth visit to the state, the interlocutors appointed by the Central government achieved a major success as they could speak to leaders of the BJP and the Jammu and Kashmir National Panthers Party who had earlier refused to meet them.
Noted journalist Dileep Padgaonkar, who heads the three-member team that also has academician Radha Kumar and former information commissioner MM Ansari as members, said: "It is the right of every Indian citizen to hoist the national flag, but keeping in view the situation we would suggest those wanting to unfurl the flag in Srinagar on January 26 should reconsider their decision."
He said that the visit was fruitful. "We could meet and talk to lot many people, political groups like the BJP and the Panthers Party, hear their point of view," Padgaonkar said.
The interlocutors during their three-day stay here met university professors, intellectuals, leaders of the BJP and the Panthers Party, and a cross-section of people in Jammu and Udhampur. They are leaving for Srinagar for the second and the final leg of their fourth visit to the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured